Saturday, January 1, 2011

A New Year ... New Resolutions ...

Like so many others I also have my little set of new years resolutions such as read more, take more pictures, find joy in little things, ... the regular things really ... but I found a little extra inspiration in some quotes of philosopher Immanuel Kant.

"Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law."

You can't be truly happy with yourself if you don't act according to what you think is right, right?

"Morality is not the doctrine of how we may make ourselves happy, but how we may make ourselves worthy of happiness."

And the right thing is not always the easiest or most fun thing ... but the easiest option is not always the most satisfying either, right?

"Always recognize that human individuals are ends, and do not use them as means to your end."

Wouldn't our world and our every day life be a little bit more beautiful if we could all treat each other with respect?

"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." 


And can't we extend this to our friends the animals too?

"Immaturity is the incapacity to use one's intelligence without the guidance of another." 

Let's not always follow the pack ... why not start to think for ourselves and make our own decisions? 

"It is not necessary that whilst I live I live happily; but it is necessary that so long as I live I should live honorably." 

Nevertheless, I wish all of you a happy and honorable 2011.
Enjoy life!



No comments: